*I was supplied Kilz Primer for this makeover. All opinions are mine.
We had a few warm days last week and I was so thankful to be able to take advantage of the pretty weather and finish up the IKEA rast night stands I've been working on for my mom's bedroom makeover. I don't know how you guys have been doing it with all the snow and freezing temperatures! I'm so glad that spring will be here before too long! I originally wanted to do a bamboo inspired Rast hack, but I thought it might be easier to go with a campaign inspired hack. I've filed that idea away for the future though and hopefully will be able to tackle it one of these days. This was a really simple makeover.
I started by priming the nightstands with Kilz spray primer. Since the wood was unfinished it really soaked up the primer. I used two coats to ensure even coverage. If you are using this primer (or any primer really) you want to make sure to shake the can really well to prevent that sandpaper like finish. If you do get a few bumps, just sand everything lightly after it dries and you're good to go. I also filled in the original holes for the knobs with some wood filler since I planned on using just one pull in the middle. Once the wood filler was dry I sanded it down until everything was nice and smooth. I actually did it twice just to make sure.
Then, I used a foam roller to cover all the large flat areas and a brush for the nooks and crannies. The color is Valspar lovely green as mentioned above. The finish on the cup pulls ended up being a little darker than I anticipated and didn't really match the corner brackets like I had hoped, so I sprayed everything with Krylon gold leaf spray paint.
My mom wanted an old fashioned phone like her mom had when they were growing up. She found this one at an antique store and it even works!
The green was a bold color choice, but it matches the fabric we chose for some accent pillows perfectly. It also really adds a nice punch of color in there. The rest of her bedroom set is black so the green breaks everything up nicely. We are almost done with the room, just need to finish a bolster pillow I'm working on. In case you were wondering, sewing a bolster pillow with trim and a zipper is no fun. I'm hoping I can get it finished this week!