Most of the rooms in my house have ordinary builder's grade switch plate covers so I decided to step it up in our half bathroom. My goal was to create something that had a lucite/glass tile look to it. I started with these switch plate covers that are intended to be used with wallpaper. I thought about using scrapbook paper or wrapping paper to line the back (which I think would look nice too), but I decided to go with painting them.
I taped them off using some frog tape so I would eliminate getting paint on the front of the plate.
I sprayed them with a few thin, even coats of spraypaint (Rustoleum Seaside Green, I had it leftover from the mirror makeover)
Then, since I have an obsession with gold, I sprayed the screws with a few coats of gold spraypaint.
It has a glass tile vibe to it and looks a lot better than the builder's bland one. You can't beat it for only a few dollars.
Even though it's a very small detail, I think the gold screw really makes a big difference.
I think I'll try it with some wrapping paper next.